Maggi Hambling

Yesterday I visited an interesting exhibition, which I found very informative. I decided to visit the exhibition in Ipswich as I used to have drawing lessons when I attended Suffolk New College. I have fond memories of going to this place as it has really good architecture (especially in the round hall entrance) and I found the old building very inspiring.
Earlier this year I heard that it was no longer a place where students go to draw but it had been refurbished as a gallery. Currently the exhibition taking place involves local artists in Suffolk and a number of these also attended the 'Old Ipswich Art School'. Therefore the title of the exhibition is ‘The Class of…’.One of the main exhibitors to this gallery is the local Suffolk artist Maggi Hambling. I have heard of this artist from the sculpture The Scollop, that she created which stands on Aldeburgh beach. However I have never looked at this artist work in great detail, visiting this gallery gave me the chance to see some of her interesting work. Hamblings style could be described as expressionistic; a lot of her landscapes are influenced but landscapes in and around Suffolk.
 I have chosen to research the work of Maggi Hambling further as like previous research, her work also relates to an individuals relationship and how where they live can influences this. In my opinion Maggi Humbling’s reacts her surroundings by influences such as the sea and Suffolk Landscapes. This can especially be seen in her works of the dramatic Seascapes on canvases.

Maggi Hambling - The Scallop, Aldegurgh.










http://www.ipswich.gov.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=352
http://www.maggihambling.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment